rain

It’s the only time my mind is bombarded with lyrics – when it rains. Drives me crazy but comforts me all the same. Madonna (“Rain”), Matchbox 20 (“She only sleeps when it’s raining”), Natalie Merchant (“I’ve been walking all alone through the wind and through the rain”), Dave Matthews (“Gravedigger, when you dig my grave could you make it shallow so that I can feel the rain”, Eurythmics (“Here comes the rain again”), Rebecca Correia (“Rain, how’s it feelin’ babe” and “I’ve got all the blue skies in your eyes combined, so bring on the the rain”), Bob Dylan (“Buckets of rain”), the Grateful Dead (“Box of Rain”), Eric Clapton (“praying for the healing rain”), and even Gordon Lightfoot (“rainy day people…”) have been singing to me all morning.

I don’t know what makes the rain so beautiful to me, especially today. Maybe it’s that first day back to work, matching my get-down-to-business attitude. Can’t think of anything else but writing proposals, drafting policies, scheduling fall classes, wading through tons of email…No running, no “I should be outside” guilt trip, no other plans but getting back into the professional world. Weird how I missed it. I needed to be away, yet cannot stay away.

I’m thinking I’d like to learn a new “hobby”. Any ideas? Bring on the rain.

6 Comments on “rain”

1. Ruby Tues says:

New hobby ideas:

Hand drumming (the neighbors might not like the noise though)
    Sushi making (and you get to eat what you do!)
    Carpentry (could come in handy)
    Painting (and no, not painting the walls)
    Quiltling (had to throw that one in)
    Guitar hero (I know, don’t go there!)
    Teaching yoga (my all time favorite)
    Writing a book (I know you could)
    Black & white photography (you’ve got a great eye for it)
    Kayaking (you’ve got connections)
    Hiking the Appalacian trail (you could totally do that)
    Foster home for wayward cats (someone must do that, right?)

Not sure if I’m being all that helpful, but I’m having fun.

You forgot tow old but appropriate songs:
    “Raindrops are falling on my head” and “Singing in the rain”

oooh! I like some of your ideas! Hand drumming…hmmm..I have absolutely NO rythym so that won’t work. Sushi – I have an entire kit and cookbooks! Quilting, I should finish kisa’s rock & roll quilt. Good idea. Guitar hero I’ll leave to the boyz (no I’m not being sexist). Teaching yoga – that’s why I need you. Write a book…working on it but shhhhh, don’t tell anyone! 😉 B & W photography and kayaking…been seriously thinking about that. My connection is way too busy for me, though. Hiking is doable but the cat thing and carpentry – out of the question. Indy would have a pissy fit (pun totally intended) and I’m dangerous with a hammer in my hand! HAHA

I thought you were going to bring up Milli Vanilli’s Blame it on the Rain. I did have the classics in my head but I couldn’t think who sang them 😦 Is that sad or what!

3. Pam says:

Sketching
    tap dance
    salsa lessons
    Calligraphy
    Feng Shui

Purple Rain~Prince and Have you ever seen the Rain~CCR

Just a little fun input for my friend 🙂

salsa sounds like fun! So does the calligraphy. I’m thinking if I delve into feng shui I’ll start noticing every single space that doesn’t have the right energy flow. I know a woman who is constantly rearranging the furniture…in her boss’s office! 😉

When I was driving my mother around in the rain last week Purple Rain was at the forefront of my mental jukebox- especially the guitar solo! CCR’s song…hmmm not so much. I’m not a fan of the lead singer’s voice – John Foggerty or something…

you know me…i love rain. its an eeyore thing 🙂

(p.s. check your email)