Cult of Personality

Paul, Annie Murphy. The Cult of Personality: How Personality Tests are Leading Us to Miseducate Our Children, Mismanage Our Companies, and Misunderstand Ourselves. New York: Free Press, 2004.

Okay. How many of us think of a well toned guy with long hair jumping around in bright colored spandex when we hear the words “cult of personality”? Am I the only one who thinks fondly back to Living Colour days? Probably. I’m showing my age.

At any rate, the book The Cult of Personalityby Annie Murphy Paul is compelling. Fearing it to be a dry, psychology “talk-shop” laden lecture on personality tests I read it along side a fictional psycho-babble book. Oddly enough, I found the nonfiction just as interesting as the fiction. Paul’s book didn’t need the fictional bells and whistles to be a page-turner. Paul has a style of writing that is reminiscent of Halberstam such that you feel as if you are getting good society gossip (like the details of a juicy affair) along with the cut and dried information on how a test was conceived.

BookLust Twist: In More Book Lust in the chapter called, “Dewey Deconstructed” (p 62).

6 Comments on “Cult of Personality”

i dont remember the video…but i’m 99% sure the song is on the “Say Anything” soundtrack.

now i want to watch some John Cusack 🙂

2. Ruby Tues says:

I am TOTALLY with you on the Living Color video … I can even hear the song in my head … gee, thanks … that will be stuck with me all day now 🙂

I have the soundtrack somewhere and the movie…somewhere. Maybe if I can dig it out in time we’ll watch it! lol LOVE that movie! 🙂

Ruby~ I aim to please! 🙂

i have the movie if u dont….i’d love to watch it together!

I have the movie buried somewhere…It’s in a box labeled, “dude room.” Need I say more? 😉