May ’12 is…Posted: 2012/05/05
Hawaii. Hawaii. Hawaii. This is going to sound sick but I am trying to get psyched for an upcoming trip to the islands. Not The Island that I know and love. The Sandwich Islands. Hawaii. Or, more specifically Oahu and Maui. My first time to either. Here are the books that are helping me learn about Hawaiian culture and history:
- Hawaii’s Story by Hawaii’s Queen , Lilioukalani
- West of Then by Tara Bray Smith
- Six Months in the Sandwich Islands by Isabella Bird
- Volcano by Garrett Hongo
- Kon-Tiki by Thor Heyerdahl (don’t you just love his name?)
In addition to that (completely unplanned) list I am trying to stick to the reading schedule. That would include
- Little Women by Louisa May Alcott in honor of May being Eeyore’s birth month (in other words, something sad)
- The Joy Luck Club by Amy Tan in honor of May being Asian American Heritage month,
- and last but not least, Charlotte Gray by Sebastian Faulks in honor of May being sex month.
It’s a bit of reading but I think West of Then and Kon-Tiki are going to be really quick reads. Volcano might also be quick…not sure yet.
Oh! Two last books! For the Early Review Program (LibraryThing) – I almost forgot! I have the United States Coast Guard and National Guard by Thomas Ostrom and Letters to Kurt by Eric Erlandson. Both arrived this month. The Coast Guard book is a January book and I think Letters is a February book. So, a little late, but I’ll get to them! Letters to Kurt I’m sure I’ll read in a weekend or less. Hello coffee in bed!
What else to tell you? In less than two weeks I will be walking 60 miles for Just ‘Cause. In less than four weeks I will be saying goodbye to my cousin. What can I say? I can’t wait for June.