Yoga for AthletesPosted: 2016/12/20
Cunningham, Ryanne. Yoga for Athletes. Champaign, IL: Human Kinetics, 2017.
Reason read: Early review program for LibraryThing.
Disclaimer: I had to use this book for a few weeks before I could review it. I am a firm believer in yoga to supplement all sports activity.
- Likes: Pose finder index was very helpful.
- Photographs of people with different body types was great (instead of photographs all of the same model).
- Testimonies from professional and nonprofessional athletes add character to the book.
- Sections on specific sports to target key areas for those who want “quick” routines. I’m a runner so I jumped right to “my” section a few times.
- Directional language is very straightforward.
- some poses have modifications while others do not. All poses can be modified.
- Some redundancy – some poses are shown more than once (cat cow, spine rolling, boat pose to name a few). The duplication implies filler, like there was no enough content for a complete book.
- Some sections out of sequence; warming up poses before the “warming up” chapter, for example.
- No warning on the more dangerous poses (like wheel); I would have liked to see the modification illustrated.
- Awful outfits for most of the models (especially the men). What’s with the Wednesday tights?